What personal information do we collect?
When you express an interest in becoming a member of Wimborne u3a you will be asked to provide certain information. This includes:
• Your name
• Home address
• Email address
• Telephone number
• Your subscription preferences
Please note that, in accordance with GDPR (General Data Protection Regulations), you sign your acceptance of this policy on your application or renewal form.
How do we collect this personal information?
All the information collected is obtained directly from you. This is usually at the point of your initial registration. The information will be collected via membership forms. In order to inform you about the groups, activities and events that you can access as a member we need to store and process a certain amount of personal data.
How do we use your personal information?
We use your personal information:
• To provide our u3a activities and services to you
• For administration, planning and management of our u3a
• To communicate with you about your group activities
• To monitor, develop and improve the provision of our u3a activity
• For delivery of the Trust publication – “Third Age Matters”
In certain circumstances, newsletters or other Wimborne u3a notifications may be hand-
We prefer to send you messages by email, and if you do not have email we would like you to nominate a close friend or relative who can send and receive emails on your behalf. In the case of an emergency, such as a last minute cancellation, we may need to contact you by telephone.
Whom do we share your personal information with?
We may disclose information about you, including your personal information:
• Internally – to committee members and group conveners – as required to facilitate your participation in our u3a activities
• Externally – for products or services such as direct mailing for the Trust magazine – Third Age Matters. The magazine is distributed by a third party processor and your information is shared with the distribution company via a secure online portal. Should you not wish to receive the magazine please contact the Membership Secretary
• If we have a statutory duty to disclose it for legal and/or regulatory reasons. In this instance we will seek to obtain your consent. Information would be shared without consent where there were serious safety concerns and it was felt to be in your or the Wimborne u3a’s best interests to disclose information.
How do we store your personal information?
Wimborne u3a uses the u3a Beacon Database System in order to ensure the security of your personal information against loss or theft, as well as unauthorised access, disclosure, copying, use or modification. Your membership information can only be accessed by Committee Members and Group Convenors – as appropriate.