The TED Talks group meet weekly to view talks coming under the TED Talks banner. Members of the group have the opportunity of recommending Talks to view and add to those suggested by the Group Leader. The videos last an average of fifteen minutes followed by discussion reflecting on the topic of the talk. Care is
taken to ensure a mixture of topics reflecting the interests of the group.
Below is a list giving a flavour of the talks covered to date:
• Sir Ken Robinson: Do Schools Kill Creativity;
• Robert Waldinger: What makes a good life? Lessons from the longest study on happiness;
• Richard St. John: 8 secrets of success;
• James Watson: How we discovered DNA;
• Murray Gell-
• Louie Schwartzberg: Nature. Beauty. Gratitude;
• Andy Puddicombe: All it takes is 10 mindful minutes;
• Alain de Botton: A kinder, gentler philosophy of success;
• Jia Jiang: What I learned from 100 days of rejection;
• Ellen MacArthur: The surprising thing I learned sailing solo around the world;
• Jeanne Gang: Buildings that blend nature and city.
TED was born in 1984 out of Richard Saul Wurman’s observation of a powerful convergence among three fields: Technology, Entertainment and Design. The first TED talk included a demo of the Compact Disc, the eBook and cutting-
Meanwhile the roster of presenters broadened to include Artists, Scientists, Philosophers, Musicians, Business and Religious Leaders, Philanthropists and
many others. For many attendees, TED became one of the intellectual and emotional highlights of the year.
At TED, the goal is to spread ideas. Encouraging the TED community, non-